New Wheel Day. Out The Box Review.

New hoop day!


Mavic Ksyrium Elite Disc Allroad


After alot of deliberation I decided on a new set of matching wheels (First matching set for a long time). I spent my time reading reviews, I wanted something hardy that could stand the test of time and my lardy arse. These wheels have their cons but i think the pros outweigh them.

Pros.
1. Price.
Full wheel build with tyres for £558.00 you really can't moan about that as pricing up a set of hand built wheels I'd be looking at £500 without tyres, inner tubes and rim tape.

2. Tubeless ready!
I've been a convert for tubeless on mountain bikes for a long time. I love the idea I can set up tubeless and not need to worry about thorns or snake bite flats while i am loaded up.

3. Sealed Cartridge Bearing.
Do I really need to say much more? Low rolling resistance, quick easy service time.

4. Weight
At 1701g without discs these are lighter than some of the road wheels I've used. I know I'm not accounting for the braking surface like you would with a rim brake but with the braking force being centralised.

5. 19mm Internal
Offering up a wider rim than Mavic's normal internal rim dimensions makes life that little bit easier for wider, chunkier tyres. Those wider tyres are going take the brunt of some harsh roads, brutal cycle paths and knowing me the unwielding bridleways! They are called all road for a reason!

6. Aesthetics.
They look fantastic. Maybe I'm biased.

7. Warranty
3 year warranty and crash replacement policy if you register the wheels with Mavic. Winner!

8. Low Profile
Having a nice low profile rim is great for handling in all conditions: imagine being fully loaded up and catching a cross wind with a set of deep sections on...

Cons.
1. Spokes.
Not having normal J bend spokes. You can normally walk into any bike shop around the world and get a J bend 280-300mm spoke and repair it at the side of the road if needed. With these it's straight pull bladed custom to Mavic. It's just something that not every bike shop stocks. This is my biggest concern.

2. 142x12
Mavic ship these as standard as 142x12 axels. Running my Genesis 9x135 it's a bit of a pain I'm going to need to order adaptors for this. However this could be seen as a positive as I can now always upgrade frame and my wheels won't be obsolete.

To note

Tyres.
I know I kinda put this as a pro. At the same time it's a con. We all have our allegiances to brands for our tyre choice. Mavic offer up these wheels with 28 & 30 tyres. So you do get choice in tyre size at least. These tyres will most likely come off and be replaced.

Verdict.

So as you can see I had far more good things going for me in this purchase than against.
Yes I could of spent a little more money and got the "Pro" version, or even built my own wheels like I have done in the past. The fact is the amount money I would spend even on nice spokes, light but sturdy rim and a reliable hub would have cost more than the £558. As soon as these wheels get a good road testing expect a road report from them.

As always keep spinning. 

Comments