The Broken Bike.

An end to a long week! (last week im a week late)

After a week of really good riding managing to racking up 125 miles riding every day except Saturday.
It doesn't look like much does it?
Only for the tail end of the week to come crashing down on me slightly, I was able to fit my new wheels on Tuesday (04/5/17). Only able to get out for a quick test ride that evening as I had a bike fit to do in Teddington. The next day it was noted to me that the wheel didn't really sit right in the frame, to cut the long story short my frame is twisted and out of line. I found this out when running a larger tyre than normal in my frame. The 1mm it is out by at the axels is about 2-2.5 mm by the time the chainstay gets to the BB. It doesn't sound like much but accounting for wheel flex when under heavy cornering it's going to rub. In planning my kit for this upcoming adventure I had planned to use 30cc tyres So I had a lot of rubber on the road for added comfort. 

Regardless of this, I knew I would not be able to strip the bike down again until Sunday at the earliest to send it back to the UK distributors Madison. So I rode it. Here are my rides from this week. 


Monday.
Bank holiday Monday that means 2 things, loads of idiots on the road in a rush to go nowhere and work. Working in retail even the mechanical side of it, you still need to work on bank holidays. Mondays at the shop at 11-4 (Sunday hours).

I noticed that Lukas has cycled in and he would need to cycle home. This was good as we could cycle back the slightly longer way and then I could head back from his after dropping him off at his. We had a stunning evening! The sun was shining and the lanes were quiet. A smooth tempo aided by a slight tail come cross wind pushed us along all the way to Deerhurst and Tirley before turning down Church Road heading back to Tewkesbury. From then I was on my tod. I took a longer way home than planned and came back via Cleeve hill hoping to pick up some of that tail wind for the climb. It never happened as the hill was sheltered on that side. Shame.
All in all 42 miles can't complain at that for a Monday!

Just before Frampton

Tuesday.
New wheels fitted finally! I also had a bike fit in Teddington I spoke to the client and said I would cycle out as she had a turbo trainer and would need to bring mine. I got home from work, cycled out and back really, not a super exciting day but did get 16 miles in.

Finished!

Wednesday.
A bit of a mess really 5 miles was meant to be like 50 but got really delayed with life. Good for me to get a rest day really at least I walked the dog and got some exercise. If you can call it that for the dog?



Thursday.
Thursday night special I think we could call this one. I don't normally ride unless commuting as we don't shut up shop until 7. I had to go to Gloucester to quickly help a mate out with a broken bike. Speaking to Matt and Ross I talked them into joining me as Matt heads that way home anyway and Ross likes getting the miles in at the moment! A Fast and hard night awaited us. Ross had as much energy as a 10-year-old you have spent all afternoon feeding sweets and chocolate that with his fitness is a dangerous combination, at least for me and Matt. After pushing my limits on the climbs I had the advantage on the twisty little lanes as I know them well and the descents as I'm a heavy git.  Heading back to Cheltenham we had a headwind. We decided to keep the tempo high, only thing really to report is this hurt like hell! 


"lads lads lads"

Friday.
 A date with Rob. Once a month myself and an old friend meet up for a good old chit chat and a put few miles in. It's always nice, we put the world to right, talk about life's since we last met and plan the next ride we shall adventure out on. Starting to feel my legs were really feeling the burning around half way, I looked down to find out that my saddle had slipped and was a good few inches lower than I normally run. After stopping and adjusting my saddle height I was riding up at full strength again. It's amazing how even being a few millimeters out from normal on the saddle height can mess up the body mechanics for cycling.  Heading out on a similar ride to Monday we had a fast tailwind and grueling headwind on the return.
With a strong wind on the way home, we motored on parting ways in Cheltenham with the knowledge that I was going to Badminton Horse Trails with eve on in the morning, that ment two things an early morning and lots of walking.

Rob and the Zebra.

Saturday.
Here is Leo. Today was all about the horses playing badminton. They hold the rackets in their mouths it's an interesting watch. 



Sunday.
Working as I had yesterday off, it was strangely quiet at work so I managed to strip down my bike to frame cover it in bubble wrap and box it up ready to send back to Madison to start the warranty process. Bye bye frame :(
Just as I had got her where I wanted her fully ready to take on anything! Will keep you guys and gals posted on the development of my frame.

Bye Bye bike :(

As always keep spinning. 



Comments